Pistacchio di Bronte: jewel of Sicily

5′ reading time

The Pistachio is a fruit which has a very ancient history. In fact, It was already known by Babylonians.
According to some theories, this fruit comes from “Psitacco”, a town of Syria. Other theories, give its origin in Turkestan.
The pistachio tree is characterized by a reddish bark, which becomes grey when the plant is grown.
It is widespread in various parts of the world, but the one which produces the finest fruits is at Bronte, a municipality in the province of Catania, in Sicily, on the hills in the Park of Etna.
The fruit of the ‘Pistacchio verde di Bronte’ is a symbol of a land which withstands the volcano and takes advantage of its fertility.
The Bronte Pistachio, which is a Protected Designation of origin (PDO) food since 2006, is characterized by an intense bright green colour, with very marked aroma and flavour.

Protected Designation of Origin

The Bronte Pistachio, has the international acknowledgement it deserves for its quality: the PDO concerning an area of ​​production between 300 and 900 metres above sea level regarding the territory of the municipalities of Bronte, Adrano and Biancavilla, all in the province of Catania. The PDO trademark is associated with the symbol of Etna and a composition of open pistachios, in different shades of green.

A versatile product rich in Nutritional Properties

The Bronte Pistachio is very rich in vitamins, mineral salts, and unsaturated fatty acids, but it also a delicious energetic snack. It is eaten as it is, or used in many recipes and products, ranging from sauces to pasta , from cakes to icecream, from cheeses to cured meats.

Emerald Delice famous all over the world

At Bronte over 30 million quintals of pistachios are collected every year, just over 1% of the world production of pistachios, but this production has a great economic and cultural value. The 80% of the Bronte Pistachio is exported in all over the world. The remaining 20% ​​is used in the national industry, mainly in cured meats, confectionery industry, and icecream. It is avalaible in many forms: not shelled, peeled, in grain, as flour…
There are almost a thousand local producers, most with small and medium-sized plots of land of less than one hectare. The freshly harvested Bronte Pistachio, is shelled and then dried in the sun for a few days. When it is shelled, it shows the typical purplish variegations of its protective film. When deprived of its thin reddish-purple skin, It shows its true colour, a brillant emerald green.

Leave Comments

Name

E-mail

Your comment